A very kid friendly site!

Friday, August 1, 2008

Taking Our Donations to the Orphanage

On Saturday we took all of the donations to the orphanage. It was really crazy! We had 2 large suitcases full and heavy and they have an elevator that luckily was working that day. When I say elevator- I mean a tin box that fits about 3 adults and doesn't have a door that really shuts you in- it has a gate that you close, but then as you go up the gate stays there and then you can't touch that part of the elevator because it is the side of the hospital and it's moving as you go up. I hope that makes sense. But the orphanage is on the 5th floor (technically the 6th because where we parked was I guess the basement) but every time except this one, we had to hike 6 flights of stairs to visit the orphanage.


This day was especially crazy though because they knew we were there to adopt and see the babies but they needed to also go through all of the donations and write up a "receipt", so they needed me there for that to tell them what everything was and how it worked. So while I had 3 nurses and a translator trying to get all that information from me and me trying to take "quality" pictures (at first) - I also had 5 nurses bring babies in and handing them of to me to "pick" and couldn't figure out why I wasn't choosing the first healthy child they handed to me.


Finally I handed my camera to one of the orphanage teenage boys and motioned to him to take pictures- or I wasn't going to get any!- but at the same time- after it was all said and done, we had a few good ones but we also had some of the floor and blurry, and then some how he got it in panoramic mode and some other screen, so in the end- we got a few, but not what I had envisioned!






This is Mary holding the little boy she is trying to adopt. We tried putting on one of the 53 hats that our ward YM/YW helped make for youth conference.


This is Richie getting out the Jersey's that we were able to get donated by BYU. The just had a basketball hoop attached to the wall of their new building and are so excited to play, but they had no way of distinguishing teams. So Richie emailed BYU and the Jazz to see if they could donate any form of jersey's. BYU responded back and sent 15 of their basketball camp reversible jersey's that they had left. So the boys that were there were really excited!

They didn't realize the hats were different sizes and they were trying to put on an infant hat on this teenager. -It obviously didn't fit!

Here are the boys that were there at the time sporting the jersey's and the balls.

No comments: