A very kid friendly site!

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Awe, what new experiences we're having!

We actually took him to a park at the Embassy in Morocco and at first he didn't want anything to do with it until one of the girls there showed him how much fun the slide could be and then helped him try it (uneasily) for the first time. And then he didn't want to get off for a while. Then he was fascinated by all of the little tiny rocks that made up the playground "floor". But we tried the swing there and was terrified every time the direction of the swing changed. So we didn't enforce that for to long.

But this time - He was so giddy in the swing! He couldn't stop smiling and giggling the whole time! He was so cute. He honestly looked like this for about 15 minutes straight and did not want out, even though all of us pushing him were dying of heat stroke and wanting to find shade!






He really is a quick learner! He is learning to say at least a couple new words a day. And I'm sure he is "understanding" even more than we know of what we are telling him. But in all honesty- I knew this would be hard and a challenge, and on one hand it hasn't been too bad, but on the other hand I honestly feel like I'm trying to raise/teach Helen Keller (except he can see). But he is a 2 year old boy who knows what he wants & needs and I'm sure he is so frustrated when he can't communicate with any one, but trying to get across to him why he can't do things that are wrong or dangerous (like turn the stove knobs on), or that he has to wait till the food is cooked before he can eat it (his was always waiting on the little table when they got there), or that even though daddy isn't a female nurse, he is a nice guy and CAN help you eat, get pj's on, change your diaper, put you to bed, get you a drink, tickle you, look at you, etc. That is one of our challenges right now. It gets a little better each day (for instance he didn't start crying and clinging to me when Richie walked in the door from work today and let him feed him his dinner!) He isn't that way with every male, but Richie is the one that keeps coming back for some reason and insists on doing what "Mama" should be doing. So "Mama" can have a break and breathe every so often!!! But this too shall pass! And we'll be on to brighter days.
Everyone asks me how it is going with all of the other kids and fitting in and all of that. It is actually not too bad! I haven't had them complain even really once about a why or I wish we didn't do this - nothing!! They enjoy feeding the baby and burping the baby and all that (for the time being at least) and they like playing with Jordan & trying to teach him new words. And they are really good to try to get him to play "away" from Mama (he insists on following me from room to room to room saying "Mom! Mom! Mom! alla la fo a jfjot jadjj fe...." - No clue- but something apparently important!) Today he was funny, he was actually playing with the kids upstairs in the toy room and I was down in the kitchen and he came to the top and said "Mom, Mom, Mom! ......." and went on and on in his jabber that I have no clue what means for what seemed to be paragraphs while I nodded and nodded and then all the sudden he screamed like a girl and started laughing. I don't know what the story was about but it was apparently really funny and detailed in his mind and someone squealed, but I had to hear it about 3 times in a row - exactly the same every time - it was kind of funny by the 3rd time through!
But anyway, no it's honestly not all "Peaches & Cream" all of the time, but it's not as bad as some might imagine either and we are making it through! Someday - looking back- we will probably have a hard time even remembering these first few months!

2 comments:

Rachel and Joshua said...

Hey! Can you send me an e-maiL? I can't find your address and I have a few questions for you.

Corinne said...

Hey, I ran across your blog and you have a lot going on. It's fun to catch upon all that's going on in your life. Good luck in everything you do. I'm so happy for you.