A very kid friendly site!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What a DAY!!!

Why is it that the last kids to fall asleep are the first ones to wake up! I don't get it- you would think that they would need to sleep in to compensate. Not at this house! Brinley and Macie are always the last ones in bed and wake up bright and early- okay, not as bright and early as some of your homes, but they are the first ones up here and proceed to make enough noise that it wakes everyone else up.

Well, today was no exception! Pretty soon, every kid was awake and everything went smooth for a while. We had pancakes as a bribe to come out and help weed the forest in the garden. They were actually excited to help and did really good! They weeded for a while and then got trash bags to put all the weeds in and all was going good. I found myself thinking how good my kids are and that I was a pretty dang good mom to be able to keep the lawn mowed and weed the garden all while entertaining 4 "babies" and teaching 3 older kids the value of hard work and helping our family unit function.....

Yep, that's about where the day crashed and burned!!! Don't EVER think those thoughts! Every time I start thinking how wonderful things are going is about the time chaos hits. The baby started crying and Dallas was trying to be a big helper and took the little kids inside while I finished the little bit that was left. But Jordan was having a tantrum so Dallas was trying to put him on a time out which wasn't going well. The phone started ringing off the hook. Everyone was getting hungry again, so I decided that I better not finish the last little bit, but rather go establish peace before everything fell completely apart. We had lunch and put the 2 boys & Macie to bed. Macie's nap lasted a whole 15 minutes, maybe, and she was back up- gotta love it when that happens!

The kids had been begging to go swimming all day so I decide I would be a "good" mom and let them get out the swim suits and play in the water out back. They had a lot of fun the other day when Macie and I got our swim suits on too and played a few water games with them. So we ALL drag out the swim suits (which makes a mess because they are all in a big bag in my closet and everyone has several, so it makes quite a mess, let alone the clothes they take off that are now in a heap) but we all get out there and they are having fun. The thought occurs to me that maybe I should use this time to clean up the kitchen from a pancake breakfast and a fast lunch.... naa, I wanted some sun and decided the quality time was better- which it is!

But that should have been my sign!

My friend called while we were out there and asked if today was a good day for them to come see our new kitchen. I love showing my kitchen and was excited for the visit -but as I hung up the phone, looked down at my swim attire and then entered my disaster zone, I decided that I had better kick it into high gear if I was going to make it in time. I ran upstairs, threw on some clothes, ran back down and started frantically cleaning all while holding a 10 month old on my hip, (remember... no nap = irritable baby!) So we whip the house into shape just in time for my visitors to arrive. We have a fun chat and visit & say good bye just in time for Jordan to wake up.

This is where the FUN starts!!!

Run upstairs and get Jordan up and he informs my he has to go potty. So I brought him into my bathroom, I set Macie down on the carpet at the doorway- who is still in her swim suit, jump Jordan on the pot and the phone rings. I run to answer the phone, come back in time for Jordan to holler that he is done. On my way past Macie, I look down at her and she has something yellow ALL over her.... what is that my mind says??? I slow down to take a better look and what do I find....

If you have a queasy tummy or are not a mom who is comfortable reading about diaper issues--- STOP READING NOW!!!

She has filled her pants in a matter of 2 minutes and it has EXPLODED out both legs and up the back. Remember - she is still in her SWIM SUIT!!! Which means nothing is there to catch it and it is ALL over my carpet! She now has it up and down both legs, in between her toes, all over her hands and even up to her elbows!!!! Luckily- NOT on her face! I am now sick to my stomach! I had no idea where to even start! I had Dallas start handing me wipees as fast as he could till I could even touch her. I got her cleaned up enough to even be able to move her to change her diaper and then had to start working on the carpet. Mean while Jordan is STILL on the pot and hollering "Mom, I done! Mom, I done!" I know you are Jordan- Hang on!!! The phone is still ringing off the hook!

I finally got him off the pot, gave Macie a bath, and got Cohen up from his nap. I walked downstairs and saw the girls STILL outside playing in the water. All of the sudden it dawns on me.... I never put sun screen on any of them and it's been over 2 hours now, probably 3!!!! I'm such a bad mom! I run upstairs, grab the sunscreen, spray them down cause heaven forbid they would want to come in!!! And hope they aren't fried to a crisp.

Richie had also informed me earlier this morning that he had to go right after work to YM and wouldn't be home till after 8 or 9 :o) oh ya, gotta love those days! Not! Thankfully, my mother in law had called earlier and had dinner for us but she didn't have time to run it to us and since Richie wasn't coming home, could I come get it. Yes! Dinner! I can do that! But in the chaos I had forgotten about it till shortly after I sent Dallas out the door to go to scouts and the girls had just ran to the neighbors to play.

Luckily another friend called to see if her little girl could play while she went to YW and I asked if she would have eaten dinner.... oh ya, dinner! I need to go pick up the dinner! Can you load 4 babies in car seats, make it to Springville, get the dinner, get back to pick up the friends little girl, and then pick up my 3 girls in 25 minutes before Dallas got back..... yep! It has now been done!

I guess the moral of this story is.... if a day is going smoothly and you find yourself patting yourself on the back..... DON'T! Instead- Brace yourself and hold on!

I do have to say- Thank you to my friends for the visit, it was wonderful to have adult conversation! Thank you to Connie for dinner! It was delicious! And Thank you to my friend for letting her daughter come play and keep my kids entertained! It made the end of the day go much smoother! You are all awesome!

7 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

No kidding, what a day!

Taylor's said...

Yea Cindy, I appreciate you bringing back all of the memories from when I had 5 under 5. I will give myself a pat on the back for making it through those years alive. Ha!Ha! or should I- you know in only a couple of years I will have 5 teenagers yikes. Better enjoy life in the now!

Shaun & April said...

Crazy! So true... As soon as I pray for more patience, I have an enormous trial to teach me PATIENCE! Careful what you THINK or SAY!

laura said...

I feel your pain. It really takes more than 2-3 kids to understand the scope of reality. Congrats on toughing it out. Or, as the little old ladies always say to me, "Enjoy these days, dear, they are the best days of your life." Really? Shoot me now

Ryan, Melissa, and Family said...

Why does that happen??! Those days are the worst!! You just feel like there isn't enough of you to go around...everybody needs mom at the SAME time. Doesn't it feel better to write it all down though:) I am glad I am not the only one that has days like that...I hope tomorrow goes better for you;)

Moose and Family said...

And I thought things were crazy at MY house!! Thanks for sharing. It's makes us all feel a little more normal when things go haywire like that for other people too!

Hector, Kimberly, Alex and Gabe said...

Coulda lived next door to me and my bored 2 yr old ;)