A very kid friendly site!

Friday, June 6, 2008

Adoption Update!

Well, they always say adoption is an emotional roller coaster and after the past year, I will definitely agree! One day it seems achievable, and the next day you may get a email that makes it seem like there is no way it will work out. Sometimes things including your own thoughts about it even change by the hour.

I just wanted to let everyone know that in the past week we have gotten a few of the emails that we have been waiting for to be able to take the next step. One was from a U.S. couple who happens to live in Morocco and have just finished their adoption process and she emailed the process step by step including names of people to help you during certain steps. We had been waiting for that for at least a month or two so we were really excited to finally get that. Some of what she said inspired me to try to contact the Moroccan Embassy in Washington D.C.. After a couple days of trying, several times a day, and no one ever answering and their machines full, I finally got a hold of a receptionist. After explaining why I was calling, he informed me that the Embassy probably couldn't help but he just happened to have a really good friend who has adopted twice from Morocco- come to find out - through the very same orphanage! - and he was sure that he would help us with any questions that we had.

Finally! I was so excited! When you deal with a 3rd world country without a government like ours, it is all about the "who you knows" and the "fee's" (bribes) that you are willing to pay. So it is very scary to trust that once you get there, they will even help you.

So I called the receptionist's friend and he was so excited to help us. He has a friend that lives in Morocco who helped him through the process both times, who's brother is the Governor there and has "pull" like others don't. We contacted him yesterday and are hopeful that he will be able to help us, but we need a few more things worked out still before we buy our tickets but there is at least a light at the end of the tunnel! Just in time too, we have almost exactly enough time left to arrange to get there, complete the adoption and get back before I am to far along in my pregnancy to travel.

All needs to go well from here on to be able to make it happen, so we'll see but at least there is hope. If it is meant to be - it will be! We'll let you know!

2 comments:

Shaun & April said...

Congrats on the news, I know it means a lot to you. I will keep you in my prayers. Thanks for helping out Wed... My life has been a little crazy this past week, but I can see the end...I'll call you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to hear the updates!