A very kid friendly site!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Surprise! Happy Birthday Rylan!

Well, I didn't make it to 10-10-10...I didn't even make it to October! You would think after having to be induced with all 5 previous babies that by child #6, you could at least plan on the same odds. I guess not when you WANT to wait....then they come early! Rylan decided to burst his bubble 11 days early! Still to this day it is odd to think of his birthday being in September.

My water actually broke around 10 p.m. but I wasn't sure until about 10:30 when it really started flowing. I was going to try to hang out for a while but Rich didn't think that was a smart plan and talked me into going in. He called his mom to let her know & she came in to stay with the kids.

Right before leaving for the hospital at about midnight

Changing in to the beautiful, always flattering gown :o)



By about 1:30, they had me all hooked up and the pitocin flowing


Rich's version of "Labor & Delivery". The men always have it so rough!
How is he supposed to get any sleep in that chair tonight?!?!


My 1st "real" contraction on Pit

A little after 2, I got my epidural. That was a nice surprise! Usually I have to experience 1 - 2 hours of pit to get the contractions going and strong before they give it to me.


This is another familiar sight during my deliveries! The oxygen mask_ my babies usually come out with the cord around their neck at least once...and this one wasn't going to be any different! In fact it was actually pretty scary for a while! At about 2:30, after my epidural kicked in, I was watching the monitors and all of the sudden his heart monitor started jumping all over the place. I had never seen one do that before. The line didn't even exists any more, it was just a bunch of scribbles all over the paper. About as fast as I could had the thought of what is it doing... the door flew open and 3 nurses ran in and immediately started putting internal monitors on and undoing others. One nurse was grabbing things out of drawers and jabbering medical words between them all. The 2nd nurse came over to me, asked me if I had an epidural and if I was numb... at my Yes answer, she injected my hip with some medicine. I was still in a daze at this point as to what was going on. I knew something was wrong with the heart beat but no one had really said what the deal was or what exactly they were all doing in there. When I asked what I had just been injected with, they explained that the baby was in major stress and they had just injected medicine to instantly stop all contractions and labor....... okay?!?!?
So, we had to sit there for a little over an hour watching the monitors like a hawk and stressing about if he was going to do it again. That made for one LONG night! That, and they wouldn't let me roll to a different position all night which made the baby not come down very fast. The Dr. called at 6:30 a.m. and when he heard that I was still at a 4, he told them to warn me that he was on his way and if I hadn't made any progress he was going to have to do a c-section because my water had been broke for so long. I informed the nurse that this was baby #6 and I had never had a c-section before and I wasn't in there for one today! I then asked (almost begged because that side was so numb) to change position and see if that helped move the baby down. She said I could but warned me that if the baby didn't like it I'd have to be right back on it. All ended up well and the baby started coming down slow but sure!
He was born at 9:52 a.m. and was 7 lbs. 15 oz & 19 1/2 inches long.
My biggest baby yet!
I had originally wanted the kids to wait in the hall while I delivered so they could hear his 1st cry, but when my water broke, I thought that plan was going to be impossible. The Dr. had said that would be fine, but after getting there, the hospital would have made them go to the waiting room anyway. But with the way the whole delivery was and how slow it all happened, they got to the hospital, right as i was pushing and only had to go to the waiting room long enough to have the Dr. finish up and then they were able to come in. So, they didn't hear his 1st cry, but they were there within the 1st 10 minutes which was fun! They got to see him all puffy and discolored :o) We had to explain a few things about why he looked like that.


My new family!

Nursery Pic's - Getting all cleaned up


The 2nd day of his life :o) Getting Cuter!!!


The 3rd Day...I'm in love!!!




Getting ready to take my handsome little man home!




And we're off! So exciting to start a new chapter in life!
Wish me luck! :o)

3 comments:

Kare Bear said...

KINDA SCARY....Glad all went well and he is able to join such a cute loving family you guys are!! He's truly handsome!

Jen B. said...

I love everything about this post!!! Rylan is such a cute name, you look AMAZING (not fair) and I love how you tell the whole story!! Congrats!! He is such a cutie!! You are superwoman!!

Sal-my-gal said...

Scary for a bit there. Glad you made it through safely.

They all have a mind of their own don't they? I'd heard the 5th baby falls out. Mine had to be induced at 41 weeks.