A very kid friendly site!

Sunday, January 10, 2010

What's up lately~

Well, ever since a few days after Christmas, one kid or another has been sick. Gotta love that! I'm about done with sickness! I'm SERIOUSLY going to become a hermit one of these days! I keep threatening but now I'm really tempted. It started with Cohen and Brinley and moved to Dallas a few days later. It seemed like Cohen was getting better for a few days till Thursday - he was crying as I buckled him in to his car seat, which he does all the time! He never wants to go anywhere and never wants to leave once were there. As he was crying, I noticed his tonsils were swollen larger than I have EVER seen tonsils before! I was worried that something was really wrong! After the entire family had several good looks in his mouth with a flash light, Rich and I decided we better take him to the doctor, and while we were at it, we thought Macie may have a sinus infection or something because she wasn't really getting over her cold and also suffers from eczema which keeps her up all night itching so I was getting desperate for a miracle cream!

I took Macie and Cohen the next day to our lovely doctors office. They were playing and happy, other than a runny nose and a cough every now and then, you wouldn't have even guessed they were sick. So we do the usual stuff and the nurse sticks us in our room. We read books and played some more ... till the doctor came in. That's where the fun ended! Abruptly! He listened to Macie's lungs first. I don't know how he could hear anything with as loud as she was screaming! Checked her throat & ears. Then listened to Cohen and checked his throat, which he wasn't even alarmed at the tonsils that were so big they were almost touching! Then checked his ears... has he been tugging at his ears cause he has a DOUBLE ear infection! He then informs me that he could hear a wheezing sound in both of their lungs which worried him and to my question, he informs me that they both have the starting of RSV!

Having never had this at our house before, I have no idea what this means. He then takes Macie's blood oxygen count, which she vigorously screamed through the entire process, not because it hurt, but because the doctor was touching her! AAAHHH! So she was 95, and fine, but then he announces that he will be doing a breathing treatment on both of them. I, once again, never having been through this, have no idea what this entailed. A few minutes later the nurse came back with 2 machines and oxygen masks and informs me that they will need to keep these masks on for the next 8 minutes. She's preparing both masks at once and I'm looking at 2 kids who are not looking excited and wondering how this is going to go down. After applying Macie's mask to her face and having it instantly and repeatedly ripped off, I informed the nurse that there was no way I was going to be able to do BOTH children at the same time! So, for the next 8 minutes, I physically wrestled Macie nonstop! With every swipe of her hand she had tubes unplugged! I had dressed warm that day for the cold weather outside. I had a long sleeve shirt with a thick puffy vest, a nice WARM scarf, and my hair was down.... needless to say, by the 8 minute mark, I was sweating like crazy!!! The nurse was laughing at me cause the second she came in I was stripping : ) Not really but a few things did have to go before my next 8 minutes in the ring with a fresh and vigorous Cohen! He did much better for the most part. He was thinking this mask thing was kind of funny till about the 6 minute mark and then he thought he had pretended to enjoy it long enough and thought he should be able to be done.

When the nurse came back in, she took Macie's blood oxygen counts again, which with all of screaming, I would have thought they would have peaked at 100%, but they were still at 95. Then she did Cohen. His was 89. They like them to at least be in the 90's. With the reaction and look on the nurses face you would have thought they were in the 70's or something. She had me a little worried for what was to come when the doctor came back in and it was only down by one percent.

The doctor listened to their lungs again and said that my 20 minute rendevoux hadn't done a bit of good for the sound of their lungs, which also silently worried me. I didn't sign up for a hospital visit that day! But when they took Cohen's counts again he was up at 92%. Whew! So, he said that since they were acting fine, and the counts were good, we were good to go with 3 prescriptions for various things, and to call him if they made a turn for the worse.

Wow! Now that right there was.... FUN! Have I ever mentioned that I hate having sick kids! I remember complaining and stating that I would rather be sick than have sick kids! Apparently I forgot to knock on some wood after that declaration, so now I too get to experience their cold! Yay ME! Did I ever mention how much fun it is when the mom of the family is sick?

6 comments:

stacie lewis said...

Only another mother would completely understand what you've been through! Hope all is better and let's bring on Spring!

La Familia Brea said...

Oh boy Cindy! I totally saw myself in your post! When Sophia was a baby she hospitalized for 10 days with RSV. I'm glad you were able to escape that. And with 3 of my kids having asthma I totally feel the struggle with the nebuelizer treatments. Thankfully my kids are old enough now that they know it is for their own good to sit through it. As for Macie's eczema, try the Cetaphil cream, it seems to work the best for my kids. Good Luck!

Tandy said...

Oh I am so sorry, I feel your pain. I have had a nebulizer attached to my hip since 6 weeks after Cade was born and all the kids have followed suit. Good luck getting them better and hopefully you will be lucky enough to get some rest.

Randi said...

Oh my! I had no ideas this was all going on at your house. We have dealt with RSV before. Carter was hospitalized with it at age 1. Then had bouts with it off and on for a few years after, it's scary, but now that you know what to look for, you can start them on breathing treatments asap and keep it in check. Also, Oliver had bad excema as a baby. We were told to only use Aquaphor or Eucerin on it. It truly is a miracle cream. HTH and hope you are all better soon!!

Shaun & April said...

Sorry, after two shifts in a row, I am a zombie. Got your text but it was just now. We are just filling out all the info but with school just starting again...OH MY, life is busy (not that it ever really slowed down). I'm just KEEPING THE FAITH, one day at a time. :) Has my brother been to church yet? They closed a week ago, but they are painting, putting in tile etc and will be all the way in at the end of the month. You'll have to go say hi. It's Cody & Kara Preston. I have class in 7 hours but I'll call you afterwards.

Sal-my-gal said...

Ugh. We went through the same thing when the twins were little. We have an air compressor if you ever need one for at home nebulizer treatments.

My kids all have bad eczema. We have to use bath soap, baby wipes, powders, lotions, dryer sheets, laundry soap with no dyes or fragrances. For bad patches we keep hydrocortizone cream on hand. You can get it over the counter. Great stuff. Quick fix.